Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Facebook WhatsApp Print Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live A LEAK which has seen millions of gallons of water going down the drain over a period of seven years has provided the answer to why Shannon man, Pat Madden’s new water meter was telling him he had used 1.6 million litres in less than two months.The water meter installed in his home home clocked his water usage as being equal to flushing the loo 1,069 times a day or taking a bath 26 times a day.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up But on Wednesday, a crew from Irish Water dug until they found the cause of the problem – a badly leaking pipe in a corner of the gardenTaxi driver Pat Madden was astonished to discover that his meter showed he had used more than 1.5 million litres of water in the 79 days after it was installed – the equivalent, given the amount of water contained in a standard cistern, of flushing the toilet every 79 seconds.Mr Madden said that 19 days after the meter was installed, he checked the reading . “I was shocked – according to the meter, I had used 372,000 gallons of water. It was ticking so fast it sounded like a bomb”.Pat, who lives alone, took a test reading at 11am on November 26 and another one at 5pm that day.“It recorded that I had used 5,000 liters of water in that space of time – which was extraordinary, considering I wasn’t even at home.”After turning off the water going into the meter to see if it was working and establishing that it was, Mr Madden sealed off the water coming into his house. “But the thing kept registering water going through.“I never wanted this meter installed in the first place. I don’t mind paying for clean water but you can’t even drink the stuff coming out of the taps in Shannon – it smells like Parazone. I filter it twice before I use it for tea or cooking and I drink bottled water”.Withe the leak located and promptly repaired, Mr Madden said that “to be fair, if the water meter had not been installed I would still know nothing about a serious leak. I would advise people to check their use regularly after they have meters installed and question it if it’s excessive”. Email TAGSfeaturedIrish WaterlimerickShannon Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Previous articleBen Portsmouth is the Ultimate King of rock’n’rollNext articleNew album from Cathy Davey early 2015 Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. NewsBreaking newsMillion-gallon leak foundBy Bernie English – January 28, 2015 995 Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Advertisement Linkedin
WASHINGTON (AP) — The FBI says two pipe bombs left at the offices of the Republican and Democratic national committees, discovered just before thousands of pro-Trump rioters stormed the U.S. Capitol, had actually been placed the night before. The FBI says the investigation revealed that the explosive devices had been placed outside the two buildings between 7:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. on Jan. 5. The devices were not located by law enforcement until the next day. It is not clear whether that means the pipe bombs were unrelated to the next day’s riot or were part of the riot planning. Both buildings are within a few blocks of the Capitol.
There’s a little work to do in the kitchen. A little bedroom styling will go a long way toward improving value.The kitchen, while functional, could probably do with a little TLC while a salvage of the bathroom’s terrazzo floor should be part of any reno plans. A couple of pups helped the owners decide to place this Brisbane renovation opportunity on the market.IN the world of extreme makeovers, this Zillmere home could be considered a ‘challenge’, but its good bones and homely feel hide a potentially winning deal. 11 Beckman Street, Zillmere is asking for offers over $445,000, making it one of the most affordable listings in the suburb, but those who see past the rough facade are set to benefit, according to Ray White Aspley sale consultant, Angela Duncan“It’s really cute with the Queenslander features,” Ms Duncan said.Ms Duncan said the owner were parting with the home because of their fur babies.“They have two beautiful Golden Retrievers. They’re moving into a lowset home because their dogs are getting older and they wanted to move away from the stairs,” Ms Duncan said.“It’s got such a good feel and the photos don’t pick that up. It’s got breezes and VJ walls — just a really cosy and a very homely place with it’s own personality,” she said.The highset timber-and-tin cottage offers an array of internal colours, from the heavy red coat on the dining room wall, to the lime green hue of the bedroom. The feature wall might need a repaint.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus23 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market23 hours ago A functional bathroom with good bones.But in real estate, it’s all about location and for under $450,000, this has value in spades.“The previous owners used to walk to the Geebung train station, you can walk to Nudgee, you can walk to shops, schools, everything,” Ms Duncan said.Follow Kieran Clair on Twitter at @kieranclair
Stakes rose dramatically today in Oslo as politicians thrashed out a response to the highly-controversial appointment of hedge fund billionaire Nicolai Tangen as the next head of the country’s sovereign wealth fund.According to late-afternoon news reports in Norway, the cross-party Finance Committee is now asking Finance Minister Jan Tore Sanner to ensure that Norges Bank eliminates all risk of conflicts of interest if Tangen is to take over as head of the Government Pension Fund Global (GPFG) – as he is on track to do on 1 September.Early today, a legal clarification apparently overturned the Finance Minister’s assumption that he could not intervene in the central bank’s decision on who to install as chief executive officer of the central bank arm which runs the GPFG, Norges Bank Investment Management (NBIM).Sanner said his department had asked the Ministry of Justice and Public Security’s Legislation Department on Wednesday for a statement on the legal right to instruct the executive board of Norges Bank on the appointment of NBIM’s CEO. He published the main points from the summary he had received this morning, beginning: “The Central Bank Act § 2-13 probably entails certain restrictions on the Ministry’s right to instruct Norges Bank in the appointment of the general manager of NBIM.“However, there are good indications that the Central Bank Act § 2-13 does not generally preclude the possibility of instructing Norges Bank’s executive board when appointing the general manager of NBIM.”Sanner said the ministry had had limited time to familiarise itself with the statement.Having quizzed Øystein Olsen, Norges Bank’s governor and chair of its executive board, and Julie Brodtkorb, the leader of Norges Bank’s supervisory council 11 days ago, the parliamentary Finance Committee met this afternoon to hammer out a joint statement on the multiple problems that surround Tangen’s appointment, which by late afternoon had been agreed but not yet published.Sanner has said that if the statement was made public this afternoon, he would request a meeting with Norges Bank’s executive board today.The legal opinion from the Legislation Department made public today is at odds with a legal opinion the ministry received on Tuesday from the private law firm Arntzen de Besche, which held that Sanner could not intervene in the appointment.The leader of the Finance Committee, Labour Party member of parliament Hadia Tajik, commented earlier on today’s opinion from the Legislation Department, saying:“They state what several of us have been saying all along – that the Finance Minister can have contact with Norges Bank about the appointment,” she told Norwegian news service E24.A spokesman for Tajik confirmed the comments to IPE.“The law department is a respected legal environment. Now they have suggested that there is the option to give general instructions. We need to draw up the terms for this,” she said.Tajik said it was unfortunate that there had been uncertainty about this, with the ministry having contributed to this lack of clarity.Looking for IPE’s latest magazine? Read the digital edition here.
Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi and the returning Sergio Aguero headed the 23-man Copa America squad announced by Argentina coach Lionel Scaloni yesterday.Paris Saint Germain winger Angel Di Maria was also included but there was no place for striker Gonzalo Higuain, who is on loan at Chelsea from Juventus.“These are the best players in an important time for the national team,” said Scaloni ahead of the tournament hosted by Brazil, which begins on June 14. Argentina will play in Group B alongside Colombia, Paraguay and guests Qatar, the 2022 World Cup hosts and current Asian champions.Messi, who only returned to the Argentina squad in March after an eight-month absence following the World Cup in Russia, will turn 32 during the competition.Di Maria, like Messi, made his post-World Cup return in March ahead of friendlies against Venezuela and Morocco, but Manchester City’s Aguero had not been called up since Argentina’s 4-3 last 16 defeat to eventual champions France in Russia.Another high-profile omission was Inter Milan forward Mauro Icardi, who has been left out of the Italian team’s line-up for the last two months over a dispute regarding a contract renewal.“Keeping everyone happy is difficult,” admitted Scaloni, who said he’d had “doubts right until the end” over the final squad make-up.Argentina have not won the Copa America, or any major international tournament, since 1993, losing in the final in four of the last five editions of the continental showpiece.SQUAD:Goalkeepers: Agustin Marchesin (America Mexico/MEX), Juan Musso (Udinese/ITA), Franco Armani (River Plate), Esteban Andrada (Boca Juniors), Geronimo Rulli (Real Sociedad/ESP)Defenders: German Pezzela (Fiorentina/ITA), Gabriel Mercado (Sevilla/ESP), Juan Foyth (Tottenham Hotspur/ENG), Nicolas Otamendi (Manchester City/ENG), Walter Kannemann (Gremio Porto Alegre/BRA), Nicolas Tagliafico (Ajax/NED), Marcos Acuna (Sporting Lisbon/POR), Gonzalo Montiel (River Plate), Renzo Saravia (Racing Club), Lisandro Martinez (Defensa y Justicia), Ramiro Funes Mori (Villarreal/ESP)Midfielders: Leandro Paredes, Angel Di Maria (both Paris Saint-Germain/FRA), Guido Rodriguez (America Mexico/MEX), Giovani Lo Celso (Real Betis/ESP), Manuel Lanzini (West Ham/ENG), Roberto Pereyra (Watford/ENG), Matias Zaracho (Racing Club), Ivan Marcone (Boca Juniors), Domingo Blanco (Defensa y Justicia), Rodrigo De Paul (Udinese/ITA), Exequiel Palacios (River Plate), Maximiliano Meza (Rayados/MEX)Forwards: Lionel Messi (Barcelona/ESP), Sergio Aguero (Manchester City/ENG), Gonzalo Martinez (Atlanta United/USA), Paulo Dybala (Juventus/ITA), Angel Correa (Atletico Madrid/ESP), Lautaro Martinez (Inter Milan/ITA), Dario Benedetto (Boca Juniors), Matias Suarez (River Plate), Mauro Icardi (Inter Milan/ITA)Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram