Foran out of World Cup

first_imgThe NZRL confirmed Foran’s new club, the Canterbury Bulldogs, have made him unavailable for the World Cup so he can recover from a quad and back strain he played through for the majority of the 2017 season with the Warriors.The Kiwis co-host the World Cup alongside Australia and Papaua New Guinea.The tournament kicks off at the end of next month.last_img

Nigeria bans national team coach for accepting money

first_imgGretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Yusuf was Rohr’s most senior assistant at the World Cup in Russia and took sole charge of Nigeria at the African Nations Championship earlier this year.It was before that tournament in January and February that he was approached and given money to select two players, defender Osas Okoro and midfielder Rabiu Ali.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’The two were selected but the federation said there was no evidence the money influenced Yusuf’s decision because they were expected to make the squad anyway.Still, the federation said Wednesday that Yusuf made “a conscious and deliberate decision” to accept a cash gift, which is prohibited. PBA: Blackwater stuns San Miguel anew for 2nd straight win Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil LATEST STORIEScenter_img Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew MOST READ Coach of Nigerian national football team Gernot Rohr (R) discusses with his technical crew Salisu Yusuf (C) and keeper trainer Aloy Agu during the training his team ahead of FIFA World Cup qualifier against their Cameroonian counterpart in Godswill Akpabio International Stadium, Uyo in Akwa Ibom State, southern Nigeria on August 31, 2017. / AFP PHOTO / Pius Utomi EKPEIABUJA, Nigeria — The Nigeria football federation has banned a senior coach of its national team for a year for accepting $1,000 from an undercover reporter who posed as an agent and wanted certain players selected in the squad.Salisu Yusuf, who has the title of Nigeria chief coach under technical director Gernot Rohr, was also ordered to pay a fine of $5,000.ADVERTISEMENT Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View commentslast_img

Dawson Creek RCMP looking for stolen truck

first_imgThe truck had a Saskatchewan license plate attached to it at the time of the theft with the plate number 038 IUM. The truck also had a water tank along with a fabric mesh tail gate in place of the stock tail gate.RCMP would like to remind citizens not to apprehend or follow the vehicle if seen. Instead, call the Dawson Creek RCMP at 250-784-3700 with the necessary details.- Advertisement –last_img

Morocco to replace Kenya as CHAN hosts

first_img0Shares0000CAFCAIRO, Egypt, Oct 15 – Morocco will replace Kenya as hosts of the 2018 African Nations Championship (CHAN), organisers announced Sunday.The emergency committee of the African Football Confederation (CAF) met Saturday in Lagos and unanimously decided to give Morocco the green light ahead of Equatorial Guinea. A third candidate, Ethiopia, was not considered because it did not provide a letter of guarantee from its government. Original hosts Kenya fell behind with five-venue preparations for the biennial 16-team tournament, which runs from January 12-February 4, leading them to be stripped of the hosting rights last month.Morocco have not hosted a senior CAF competition since the 1988 Africa Cup of Nations.They were scheduled to stage the same event in 2015, but withdrew fearing visiting supporters could bring the deadly Ebola virus into the north African kingdom.Equatorial Guinea successfully replaced Morocco at short notice, having co-hosted the Cup of Nations with Gabon three years earlier.CHAN is restricted to home-based footballers, giving them international exposure otherwise largely denied because most African national squads are packed with professionals playing in Europe.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img

Gatlin agent says doping claims ‘just big talk’

first_img0Shares0000US athlete Justin Gatlin is said to have sacked coach Dennis Mitchell © AFP/File / Mauro PIMENTELLondon, United Kingdom, Dec 19 – The agent at the centre of an investigation by a British newspaper into world 100 metres champion Justin Gatlin’s entourage said Tuesday he invented a story about obtaining banned drugs to impress undercover reporters.Robert Wagner, who has occasionally represented Gatlin, and Gatlin’s coach Dennis Mitchell were secretly filmed by the Daily Telegraph newspaper claiming they could obtain and administer human growth hormone and testosterone for $250,000. The newspaper’s reporters had gone to meet the pair at Gatlin’s Florida training base and had posed as producers interested in making a film about a sprinter — the drugs were meant to help the film’s lead actor get into shape.But in a statement given to Britain’s Press Association by a British-based public relations company, Wagner said the Telegraph’s story was “deeply flawed” because it was based on false comments he made up to impress people he thought were in the film business.“It was just big talk — I did not actually source or supply the substances the reporters asked for but stupidly claimed I could,” the US-based Austrian said.“I apologise to Mr Gatlin, his management and family for saying completely false things about him and I apologise to other completely innocent athletes also wrongly implicated by my words.”Wagner said he reported his meeting with the reporters to the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) and would assist the investigation it had started “in every way I can”.Earlier Tuesday, Gatlin posted a statement on his Instagram account, saying he was “shocked and surprised” when he learned Mitchell had allegedly offered to supply performance-enhancing drugs.“I am not using and have not used PEDs (performance-enhancing drugs),” wrote Gatlin, who has twice served doping bans during a controversial career.The 35-year-old American sprint star, who beat Usain Bolt in the final of the 100m at the London world athletics championships this year, said he had sacked Mitchell after hearing of the claims.– Investigation –Anti-doping officials have launched an investigation into the claims while International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) president Seb Coe said athletics needed to do more to tackle the scourge of doping that has long tainted the sport.“We are looking at who we want in our sport,” Coe, a two-time 1500m Olympic gold medallist, said in a statement.“Focusing on the influences that surround athletes is a critical area of work,” he added.Gatlin has long been a controversial figure after being banned for doping in 2001 for one year and in 2006 for four years.His long-time agent, former sprint hurdler Renaldo Nehemiah, told the newspaper that Wagner had represented Gatlin only two to three times and that Gatlin was not present when banned substances were allegedly discussed with Mitchell or Wagner.Mitchell, an Olympic sprint relay champion who served a two-year doping ban during his track career, has also strongly denied any wrongdoing.The newspaper said it began its investigation in July after hearing of agents and trainers involved in supplying drugs to athletes.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img

Now’s time to cure `sicko’ health system

first_imgIN Michael Moore’s “Sicko,” a father whose toddler is hearing-impaired in both ears complains that his family medical-insurance provider will only pay for an implanted hearing device in one of the girl’s ears because the mechanism is considered “experimental.” How can the device be experimental for one ear, the father asks, but not the other? Why deny coverage for a device that is all the more critical because his little girl is learning to talk? “She has to hear from both sides of her head,” the father complains. When it comes to the debate over universal health care coverage, it’s time for public officials to hear stories like these – and for both sides of the political divide to listen closely to them. Even families with insurance, like the father whose deaf daughter was at a critical stage in language development and could have greatly benefited from two hearing aids, are not getting the coverage they need and deserve. Imagine what it’s like for families with no coverage. Actually, it doesn’t take much imagination because those families are all around us. The state is at a historical turning point on health care reform. The governor and state lawmakers have a unique opportunity to define the future of health care services for generations to come. After nearly a year of discussion, the state Legislature has amended and passed the Democratic leadership’s health care reform bill. Although the governor has indicated that he will veto the bill, he has also called for a special session to finalize details on a mutually agreeable reform plan. The window of opportunity to effect change is small, but with bipartisan support we can secure state-funded health care. Democrats and Republicans need to listen to struggling families who want quality health care so that their kids can grow up to achieve their full potential and be successful contributors to our society – like that father who wants his hearing-impaired child to be able to learn from “both sides of her head.” When he puts it like that, it doesn’t seem like too much to ask for, does it? Evelyn V. Martinez is executive director of First 5 LA.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Even as state and local health-insurance programs like Medi-Cal, Healthy Families and Healthy Kids are running into government funding roadblocks, thousands of uninsured children are falling through the cracks right now. All the while, Democrats and Republicans in Sacramento and Washington, D.C., continue to debate the nuts and bolts of their specific health care reform proposals. Debate is healthy and needed. But we also need to listen, to really hear the real-life horror stories of parents of uninsured children with critical illnesses, chronic conditions and disabilities. Their pain and suffering should motivate us to do more to ensure the health and well-being of families, especially children, our most precious resource. California seems far from achieving this goal. Enrollment caps have been placed on programs like Healthy Kids, which facilitates access to care for more than 800,000 of the state’s children, ensures that eligible youngsters stay enrolled, and secures access to Medi-Cal and Healthy Families. In Los Angeles County, First 5 LA helps fund Healthy Kids for children ages 5 and younger. But more than 10,000 children ages 6 to 18 are being turned away from the program in this and other counties for lack of funding. With thousands of California’s children uninsured and thousands more in danger of losing their current coverage as early as January if funding is not renewed, we don’t need the bombastic Michael Moore to tell us that this or any other state’s health care system is sicko. Nonetheless, a political cure for what ails health care in California has never seemed more possible. last_img

Arsenal and Liverpool could still land Barcelona defender despite Inter Milan switch

first_imgArsenal and Liverpool could still land Barcelona defender Martin Montoya after he only moved to Inter Milan on a temporary basis.Both Arsene Wenger and Brendan Rodgers have monitored the full-back’s form and growing frustration at Camp Nou over a lack of first-team action.Premier League fans are used to seeing short-term loans but 24-year-old Montoya has joined Inter on a two-year version that could be interrupted by a permanent transfer offer.That gives the two Premier League clubs the chance to swoop in and sign the ex-Spain U21 star if he impresses at the San Siro where he will finally get the chance to show his true worth over a run of games.Liverpool have just landed Nathaniel Clyne and Arsenal have Hector Bellerin in fine form but both English sides are likely to keep watch on Montoya who could improve both squads if required. Martin Montoya in action for Barcelona 1last_img

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS CCTV FOOTAGE TO FIND WHO LEFT DEVICE IN BUNCRANA

first_imgGardai keep the public away from the incident at Tullyarvan Mill.A Buncrana town councillor has demanded that all CCTV footage in the vicinity of Tullyarvan Mill be examined in the wake of an ongoing security alert.Cllr Ciaran MacLochlainn said he hopes that the suspicious found earlier today turns out to be a hoax. However the Sinn Fein politician said the incident does nothing to help the image of Buncrana and Donegal in general.“I sincerely hope this is a hoax. As bad as that is, at least it would not have hurt anyone if it had gone off.“However until the army arrives we just don’t know yet.“This entire incident has done nothing to help the image of Buncrana and Donegal. “If it is a hoax it is an elaborate one as someone has gone out of their way to make it look like a pipebomb has been left in the area,” he said.And Cllr MacLochlainn added “I am appealing to anyone who has CCTV in the area around Tullyarvan Mill to make it available to Gardai so we can find whoever left this device here.” COUNCILLOR DEMANDS CCTV FOOTAGE TO FIND WHO LEFT DEVICE IN BUNCRANA was last modified: August 14th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:CCTVCLR CIARAN MACLOCHLAINNlast_img

BUSINESSMAN BROKE ELDERLY MAN’S RIB AFTER ROW OVER DISABLED PARKING SPACE

first_imgA Donegal businessman pushed an elderly man and broke his rib during a row over a disabled parking space.Augustine O’Driscoll (pictured right) parked his pick-up jeep illegally in Letterkenny after rushing across the road to get his wife her favourite cake from a bakery.But when he came back just three minutes later he was met by a man who was annoyed that he had done so. A heated row took place between the two men and O’Driscoll ended up pushing the man who fell against a fence.Businessman O’Driscoll appeared at Letterkenny District Court today where he was charged with assault causing harm and engaging in threatening, abusive or insulting behaviour.O’Driscoll, of Ballykeerin, Kilmacrennan pleaded guilty to all the charges through his solicitor Cathal Quinn.Mr Quinn said his client was a specialist diver who was often called upon by the Irish Navy and in search and rescue missions where he dived to depths of up to 100 metres.His solicitor said he had never come before the courts before for any matter and was deeply ashamed and embarrassed by what had happened.He has his own business for the past 15 years and was even considered a hero locally after an incident in 2003 in which he carried a woman from a burning building after an explosion.Solicitor Quinn said there had been some provocation by the injured man, Frankie Doherty, who it was claimed spat at O’Driscoll during the altercation on May 4th last on Main Street, Letterkenny.“My client was asked to pick up a particular pastry that his wife is partial to. The bakery is just across the road but when he got there, there was an elderly lady in front of him.“Not withstanding that, he was back at his vehicle in three minutes where he was met by this man. The episode lasted only a matter of seconds. He didn’t hit him but pushed him in the chest and unfortunately Mr Doherty fell back and hurt himself,” he said.Judge Paul Kelly said he got particularly annoyed by people taking up disabled parking spaces when they had no right to.“Disabled people have enough difficulties visited upon them without having to cope with people parking in their spaces,” he said.He said there were hundreds of parking spaces around Letterkenny which O’Driscoll could have parked in and that Mr Doherty was quite within his right to remonstrate with him.He did accept that O’Driscoll had never been in trouble before and had many good attributes.He ordered the accused to pay Mr Doherty €1,000 and adjourned the case until May 7th.AT HEARING.BUSINESSMAN BROKE ELDERLY MAN’S RIB AFTER ROW OVER DISABLED PARKING SPACE was last modified: February 25th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:assaultAugustine O’DriscollCathal QuinnFrankie DohertyJudge Paul KellyLetterkenny District Courtlast_img

THE HOOPS REPORT: FREDDIE ARRIVES AT PARKHEAD

first_imgFORMER Arsenal and Sweden midfielder Freddie Ljungberg will undergo a trial at Celtic this morning.Ljungberg has has spent the last 18 months playing in the USA with Seattle Sounders and Chicago Fire.“He’s coming in and he’ll have a look at us,” said manager Neil Lennon. “We think he’s got great calibre. He’s been a world-class player for a long time.”Ljungberg left West Ham in 2008 after an agreement was reached to terminate his contract.Meanwhile Celtic struggled to beat St Johnstone at the weekend – and it’s obvious that fans are becoming restless with recent displays.Injury-time strikes from Korean duo Ki Sung-Yeung and Cha Du-Ri sealed the win and Lennon expressed his gratitude to the club’s fans for their patience. But it’s clear that patience is wearing thin.The Hoops travel to Ibrox this Sunday for the Old Firm clash, and Celts fans will be worried that their main rivals could further extend their lead at the top of the league.THE HOOPS REPORT: FREDDIE ARRIVES AT PARKHEAD was last modified: December 27th, 2010 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img