Gardaí in Donegal have issued a warning to parents not to add their children’s names to their school bags as they prepare to go back to school in September. The warning comes following a new initiative by Donegal gardaí, ‘Stranger danger’, warning parents that their child could ‘automatically presume that anyone who knows their name is not a stranger’.A spokesperson for An Garda Síochána in Donegal said: “That time of year is upon us all again and we are out buying bits and pieces for back to school in September. “When buying a school bag for your child please do not have any personalisations added with their name visible.“A child will automatically presume that anyone who knows their name is not a stranger.“There are so many choices out there from personalised pencil cases to stickers for books with the child’s name added and that is fine as they won’t be seen when the child is travelling to and from school.”‘Stranger danger’ – Donegal Gardaí warn parents over personalised school items was last modified: August 7th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Gardai in Letterkenny are investigating two attempted break-ins to cars in recent days.The first took place between 4pm on Thursday August 22nd and Friday, August 23rd at Tara Court.There was damage to the front door of a black Renault Clio but nothing was taken. On Sunday last around 6.30pm a car parked at the Aura Leisure Centre had its passenger door forced open.If you have any information on either of these incidents then please contact Gardai in Letterkenny on 074 91 67100.Gardai investigate break-ins to cars was last modified: August 27th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:break-inscarsdonegalletterkenny
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Darke County Fair King AJ Warner talking to Dale Minyo. Darke County Fairboard Member Matt Aultman sharing about tractor pulls Tuesday and Wednesday with listeners.
Tags:#news#NYT#web Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market Related Posts This weekend, everyone’s favorite massively-collaborative online encyclopedia, Wikipedia, will celebrate its 10th anniversary. Wednesday morning, we got on the phone with Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales and Wikimedia Foundation executive director Sue Gardner to find out about the site’s past and, more importantly, its future.While the site’s meager origins are retold with anecdotes of entries like “Astronomer,” which first read “Scientist whose area of Research is Astronomy,” we expect a lot more from the online destination that now enjoys in excess of 400 million unique visits every month.Humble BeginningsWales recalls getting the site going with a common tradition among programmers – the “hello world”. “It’s hard to imagine that it’s been 10 years since I first edited Wikipedia,” said Wales. “I remember that first day. I clicked on ‘Edit’ and I wrote ‘Hello World’, and that was the beginning of Wikipedia and all the things that have come since then.”Since its humble beginnings, Wikipedia has become a dominant force on the Web. With 17 million articles in 270 languages, Wikipedia has grown to be the fifth most popular website in the world and almost half a billion people visiting it each month. But where will it go next?My Advice? Diversify“The most important thing,” Wales told us on a press call today, “is the increased diversity in languages.” According to Wales, around 30% of Wikipedia articles had been in English and already that number has dropped to 20%. “We’re going to see very very large projects in languages where we’ve never seen such things before,” he explained.To that end, of course, Wikipedia has plans to move from its rather homogenous editor user base (which it staunchly defends as a group of dedicated and loyal users) to one not quite so young and male. It also wants to become more global, says spokesman Jay Walsh.“We all see a Wikipedia in 10 years where the imbalance of global north/global south representation is equalized. We expect to see avid and active use of Wikipedia in southeast Asia, Africa, the Middle East, and South America,” said Walsh. Beyond user diversity, Walsh explained that Wikipedia hopes to expand in a number of ways.“We aim for more global chapters, more robust global partnerships with major academic centers, libraries, galleries and museums, and hopefully much more presence in the emerging mobile space, and availability of off-line formats of Wikipedia for those parts of the world where, even in 10 years perhaps, regular internet access is difficult to achieve,” he said.Use It Or Lose ItIn terms of usability and how the site looks, Wales said they hope to improve usability to make it much more intuitive, something that should also help to lure in a more diverse set of users and editors.On the same hand, he said, “we’re not going to become Facebook, we’re not going to become MySpace or YouTube. The core of what we do is already quite usable.”Walsh agreed that, while social features would become increasingly important, it wouldn’t be in the same context as most other sites. “We do want to explore better social functionality inside of the project, but more so to help editors collaborate – target articles that need attention, meet in real-time on Wikipedia instead of using third party systems like IRC,” said Walsh. “Those tools are more about work than general social sharing amongst users – but I anticipate the readers will also see a rise in the availability of tools that let them share knowledge more powerfully amongst their groups – and repurpose for off-line reading.”Overall, usability and interface were definitely on the list of upcoming improvements said Walsh, with a goal of having simpler editing options. “I think we’ll see significant user interface enhancements, though I won’t go too far into the crystal ball. Wikipedians like to keep things functional, simple, and very adjustable and configurable,” he said. “I anticipate the readers will also see a rise in the availability of tools that let them share knowledge more powerfully amongst their groups – and repurpose for off-line reading.”What do you think? Will we continue to see an ad-free, donation-supported Wikipedia well into 2020, or will it grow too big to support itself this way? Will social voting schemes come to Wikipedia or will it continue to simply be run in long, winding debates in virtual backrooms? Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting mike melanson
Real Madrid chief Butragueno on Isco: I won’t question Solariby Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Madrid chief Emilio Butragueno refused to comment on Isco’s situation after victory at Real Betis.Real coach Santiago Solari left the midfielder on the bench for the 2-1 win.”It’s a decision of Solari, I should not enter it,” replied Butragueno when asked about Isco.”A coach makes those decisions and belongs to his world, I insist, we should not enter.”On new signing Brahim Diaz, he added: “He’s a boy with a lot of personality, we have a lot of hope in him, we have to give him time.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
HIGHLAND HEIGHTS, KY – FEBRUARY 25: Head coach Mick Cronin of the Cincinnati Bearcats reacts against the Tulsa Golden Hurricane at BB&T Arena on February 25, 2018 in Highland Heights, Kentucky. (Photo by Michael Reaves/Getty Images)Yesterday, actress and Kentucky superfan Ashley Judd took to Facebook to apologize to Cincinnati’s Octavius Ellis on behalf of her fellow Wildcat fans for the offensive and racist remarks sent to him following the teams’ Round of 32 game. Cincinnati head coach Mick Cronin was quick to accept Judd’s apology via Twitter, but he also added an interesting little note at the end of his second tweet.Thank U to @ashleyjudd for her kind words for Octavious. Te’ is a “Great”young man to those of us that actually know him.— Mick Cronin (@CoachCroninUC) March 24, 2015My advice to Ms Judd..Ignore ignorance…And I’m divorced as well (just sayin)— Mick Cronin (@CoachCroninUC) March 24, 2015Was Cronin trying to relate to Judd, or was the Bearcats’ coach hitting on her? We can’t be totally sure, but Cincinnati and Lexington are only about 83 miles apart…
VICTORIA – The B.C. government had no choice but to complete the Site C hydroelectric dam rather than absorb a $4 billion hit to its bottom line by cancelling the project, which would have jeopardized plans for more spending on schools, hospitals and bridges, Premier John Horgan said Monday.The price tag for Site C is rising, with the $8.3 billion dam on the Peace River in northeast B.C. now estimated to cost $10.7 billion.The government estimated the $4 billion cost of terminating Site C would amount to $860 for each B.C. resident. Horgan said he could not ask people to take on such a debt and get nothing in return.The province also risked a credit downgrade and debt-servicing costs of up to $150 million annually if the project was cancelled. It could also mean a one time, 12 per cent rate hike that would last for a decade, Horgan said.“We have listened,” said Horgan. “We have deliberated and we have debated and at the end of the day we have come to the conclusion that although Site C is not the project we would have favoured, and it’s not the project we would have started, it must be completed to meet the objectives of our government.”The decision on the project’s future is one of the first major challenges the minority NDP government has faced since it came to power this summer.Site C has been at the centre of a polarized debate between politicians, environmentalists, First Nations, labour groups and landowners in the Peace River Valley.Horgan said he has met with Indigenous groups, construction workers, environmental activists and residents about Site C.“I can say without hesitation this is a very very divisive issue,” said Horgan, adding he and his wife have argued about the dam.The decision to complete Site C, which has been under construction for more than two years, caused intense debate in his caucus and cabinet, he said.The $4 billion cost of cancelling the project could fund 66 secondary schools or 11 hospital projects, 12 highway improvements or three bridges in Metro Vancouver, Horgan said.Former premier Christy Clark gave Site C the green light in December 2014, saying the decision to approve the province’s most expensive megaproject marked a historic milestone that would be felt for a century.Horgan said the Liberals have taken Site C to the point of no return.“They gave us, sadly, just one clear choice,” he said. “That was to proceed with a $10.7 billion project or cancel a project and absorb $4 billion in construction and remediation costs.”National Chief Perry Bellegarde of the Assembly of First Nations said Indigenous people will likely take the matter to court.“I am confident that First Nations will continue their efforts to stop Site C and the next step will be legal challenges,” he said in a statement.The government asked the B.C. Utilities Commission to determine if Site C would be finished by 2024 and on budget, while providing advice on proceeding with the project, suspending construction until 2024, or terminating it.The province’s independent energy regulator concluded in its report last month that the dam is over budget and behind schedule.The Opposition Liberals, who started Site C, applauded the NDP’s decision.“For the businesses, for the families, for the local First Nations in the area, this is the right decision,” said Mike Bernier, who represents Peace River South in the legislature.Green Leader Andrew Weaver said the decision could end up costing more than the new estimate of $10.7 billion.“Today, it’s $10.7 billion projected cost,” he said. “So, who believes the $10.7 billion? I certainly don’t.”Site C has been part of the province’s hydroelectric generation plans since 1958.It will be the third dam on the Peace River in northeastern B.C., flooding an 83-kilometre stretch of valley near Fort St. John. It will provide enough power to light up to 450,000 homes a year.BC Hydro’s environmental impact statement for Site C forecasts flooding more than 5,550 hectares of land, of which at least 3,800 hectares is agricultural. Site C would also flood Indigenous heritage sites and force up to 20 families, many lifelong ranchers, to move.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The city of Fort St. John has released building numbers for the month of June which show that the value of construction last month more than doubled the year-to-date total.According to the statistics for June, construction was started on eleven projects, with a total value of $7,699,000.At the end of May, the total value of construction in the Energetic City was $7,251,650, which means that the total value of construction so far this year now totals $14,950,650. Though last month’s statistics are encouraging, 2018 is so far on track to be a slower year than last year, when the year-to-date construction value at this time was $17,499,500.So far in 2018, there have been 49 building permits in the city, most of which are for commercial construction or for garage/renovations.Last month, the majority of permits were issued for renovations, but the big increase in value came from multiple-family home and industrial construction.The largest project started in June was an industrial project by Urban Systems in the 9100 block of 77th Ave. worth just under $4.2 million.Another $2 million project was begun in the 11500 block of 91st Ave., while a multi-family home at 8303 92 Ave. was valued at $1 million.With the big increase in construction value, the City saw a big jump in revenues compared to the month prior. Last month, the City saw revenues of $70,820.90 from permits and charges, bringing the year-to-date total to $119,707.90.Despite the large increase, revenues from permits and fees are still $50,000 less than at this point a year ago.
London: Serbia-born actor Nadja Regin, best known for starring in Bond films “From Russia With Love” and “Goldfinger”, died Monday at the age of 87. The official James Bond Twitter account shared the news on the microblogging site. “We are very sorry to learn that Nadja Regin has passed away at the age of 87. Nadja appeared in two Bond films, FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE and GOLDFINGER. Our thoughts are with her family and friends at this sad time (sic),” the tweet read. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USShe was best known for her role as the mistress of Kerim Bey in “From Russia with Love” and had a smaller appearance as Bonita in the pre-credit sequence of “Goldfinger”, which featured Sean Connery as the iconic British spy. Regin also worked for the small screen and her TV roles included shows such as “The Avengers”, “Danger Man”, “The Saint” and “Dixon of Dock Green”. The actor appeared in several British TV programmes in the 1960s and also appeared in the 1964 New Zealand film “Runaway”. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential pollsIn the 1970s, she worked in select scripts for film companies including Rank Films and Hammer Films. After a decade, the actor moved away from the limelight to set up a small publishing company alongside her sister Jelena, which specialised in history and philosophy. She also wrote a novel, titled “The Victims and the Fools”, which she published under her full name Nadja Poderegin. The news of Regin’s death comes a week after her “Goldfinger” co-star Tania Mallet, 77, passed away.