A 24-year-old Indian athlete has been indicted in the US on charges of sexually abusing a minor girl, days after he arrived from Kashmir for a snowshoe competition.Tanveer Hussain was indicted last week by an Essex County grand jury for allegedly having inappropriate contact with a 12-year-old Saranac Lake girl earlier this year.The grand jury returned the indictment Hussain charging him with one count of first-degree sexual abuse and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child, a report in the Adirondack Daily Enterprise quoted a press release from Essex County District Attorney Kristy Sprague as saying.Hussain had been arrested in March on charges of sexually abusing the minor girl, two days after he competed in the World Snowshoe Championships at Dewey Mountain Recreation Center.”Hussain is alleged to have subjected a 12-year-old female to sexual contact and engaged in inappropriate conversations with said child during the time he was in Saranac Lake,” the report quoted Sprague as saying.The minor girl had told police that on the night of February, two days after the snowshoe race, Hussain had kissed her twice and had groped her.The report added that Hussain had previously denied the charges and declined a plea deal that would have let him return to India as he wanted to clear his name.Hussain’s lawyer Brian Barrett said that he was disappointed that Sprague announced the indictment in a press release before notifying him.”This is all about the press. That s what this whole case is all about,” he said.advertisementHussain had garnered much attention before arriving in the US for the snowshoe championship after the US Embassy in New Delhi had denied him and another athlete visas around the same time President Donald Trump had issued an order barring travel into the US from seven Muslim-dominant countries.While India was not among the seven countries, the denial of visa to Hussain and the other athlete was seen associated with the executive order.
Manchester City midfielder Ilkay Gundogan is close to full-fitness after recovering from a long-term injury with manager Pep Guardiola hoping to include the Germany international in the squad for next week’s friendly against Girona.Gundogan made 16 appearances for City last season before suffering cruciate ligament damage in his knee last December.”I think he’s close to coming back,” Guardiola told the club website (www.mancity.com). “Maybe he’ll get minutes in Girona. I don’t know, we’re going to ask the doctor because, of course, he was injured for a long time.”We don’t want to take any risks. He has to be strong but, of course, his quality is perfect for the way we want to play.”He’s a guy who plays in the middle and can be a holding midfielder or play in front. In those terms, we’re so happy.”City are travelling to a training camp in Spain and will face La Liga side Girona, three days after their Premier League opener at Brighton and Hove Albion on Saturday.
A few days after being dropped from the latest Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS), star wrestler Sushil Kumar suffered another blow after he was not included in Wrestling Federation of India’s (WFI) top pay bracket.WFI is set to announce the central contract system in partnership with its sponsors.According to a report in the Times of India, Sushil and Sakshi Malik have been placed to Grade B and will be getting INR 20 lakh. Top pay bracket is for elite wrestlers, with the athletes in Grade A getting a pay of INR 30 lakh.Phogat sisters — Geeta and Babita — have not be offered central contracts.The categorization has been done keeping in mind a wrestler’s recent performances and future medal chances.Sushil, who won bronze and silver medals respectively in 2008 Beijing and 2012 London Olympics in 66kg freestyle category, crashed out in his first qualification bout at this year’s Jakarta Asian Games in the 74kg and the latest result didn’t go in his favour.Sakshi, who won a bronze in the Rio Olympics in 2016, has also struggled in the major wrestling tournaments.Recently, Sports Authority of India (SAI) dropped Sushil and Phogat sisters — Geeta and Babita — from the Target Olympic Podium Scheme keeping an eye on 2020 and 2024 Olympics.In the revised wrestling list, Utkarsh Kale (men’s 57kg freestyle), Deepak Punia (men’s 86kg freestyle), Divya Kakran (women’s 68kg freestyle) and Sajan (men’s greco-roman 66kg) were the four new entrants. The list also included Sakshi, Bajrang Punia, Vinesh Phogat among others.advertisementBesides, Naveen (men’s 57kg freestyle) and Vijay (men’s greco-roman 60kg) are being considered for the developmental group for the 2024 Olympics.Wrestlers in TOPS: Sandeep Tomar (men’s 57kg freestyle), Utkarsh Kale (men’s 57kg freestyle), Bajrang Punia (men’s 65kg freestyle), Deepak Punia (men’s 86kg freestyle), Vinesh Phogat (women’s 50/53kg freestyle), Ritu Phogat (women’s 50/53kg freestyle), Pooja Dhanda (women’s 57kg freestyle), Sakshi Malik (women’s 62kg freestyle up to Asian Championships in 2019), Divya Kakran (women’s 68kg freestyle), Sajan (men’s greco-roman 77kg).(With inputs from PTI)
Arsenal Wenger bemoans ‘cruel’ Arsenal schedule ahead of BATE Borisov clash Iain Strachan Last updated 2 years ago 16:11 26/9/2017 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(3) BEN STANSALL Arsenal Arsène Wenger Premier League Arsenal v West Bromwich Albion BATE v Arsenal UEFA Europa League Playing in the Premier League just three days before a match in Belarus is “cruel”, according to the Gunners manager Arsene Wenger has described Arsenal’s recent fixture list as “cruel” after the Gunners were scheduled to play in the Premier League on Monday ahead of a Europa League trip to Belarus.A brace from club-record signing Alexandre Lacazette earned the north-London side a 2-0 victory over West Brom at Emirates Stadium.Arsenal 6/1 to beat Bate & O4.5 goals Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘I’m getting better’ – Can Man Utd flop Fred save his Old Trafford career? Why Barcelona god Messi will never be worshipped in the same way in Argentina Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing But the timing of the match has left the team with a limited opportunity to recover, prepare and travel to Eastern Europe for the Group H fixture against BATE Borisov.”I have a decision to make and at the moment I would say that the schedule for us is a bit cruel,” the manager said of his next team selection after the win over the Baggies.”We played tonight, we play in BATE Borisov on Thursday night and play Sunday at 12 o’clock here,” he added, referring to the Premier League game against Brighton and Hove Albion at the Emirates Stadium this weekend.”When you look at the schedule over the weekend I think there was some room for us to be scheduled differently, but we have to accept it and we want to go to Borisov with a good team. I will go with a team of senior players and certainly with a young bench.”What sort of side could we see on Thursday night?The boss discussed that after #AFCvWBA … https://t.co/MJyaSBkjYE — Arsenal FC (@Arsenal) September 26, 2017 Asked if Arsenal would discuss the situation with the league, Wenger replied: “There is no need to talk to the Premier League about that because it’s the television that decides, but, for example, Brighton v Newcastle could have been played on television on Monday and we could have played on Sunday. “So for us the time is very short, but television decides and I don’t complain about that. “But what I want to say about my team selection is that it has an impact for me for the Thursday and for the Sunday game, because we have another home game and it’s very important we have a strong record at home.”Arsenal, who finished fifth last season, opened their Europa League campaign with a 3-1 win over Cologne at Emirates Stadium and are seventh in the Premier League, with three wins, one draw and two defeats from six matches played in 2017-18.
Posted on December 1, 2010November 13, 2014Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)During emergency situations and periods of displacement, reproductive health is sometimes lost in the mix of the problems that arise. However, just because other problems arise doesn’t mean that women don’t need access to health services. A woman doesn’t stop being pregnant if she becomes a refugee. Additionally, the search for durable solutions to displacement often takes years and people shouldn’t be expected to entirely put their lives on hold during a time of displacement.For example, the Nakivale refugee settlement in Uganda (seen in the video below) is populated largely by Rwandan refugees who fled in the wake of the 1994 genocide, many of whom arrived between 1998-2002 after spending time as refugees in Tanzania. The average time spent in a protracted refugee situation is 17 years. As a result, paying attention to maternal health in emergency and protracted refugee situations is necessary.One example of integrating maternal health and refugees come from the Women’s Refugee Commission (WRC), which has developed the Minimum Initial Services Package for Reproductive Health. Additionally, with funding from MHTF, WRC is advocating for integration of maternal and reproductive health into disaster risk reduction policies and working with governments to design disaster plans with reproductive health components.Share this: ShareEmailPrint To learn more, read:
zoom Some 100 people have been rescued, while the search and rescue crews are looking for over 70 more after a RoRo passenger ship sank in Lamong Bay, Surabaya, Indonesia, in the morning hours of November 16th, according to local news agency.The incident, involving the vessel, identified as Indonesia-flagged KM Wihan Sejahtera, happened shortly after the RoRo departed the Port of Tanjung Perak, Surabaya.Right after the passengers felt a jolt thought to be due to a collision, the vessel reportedly started listing, and subsequently sank.The cause of the incident is under investigation.KM Wihan Sejahtera was en route from Tanjung Perak, Surabaya, to Bajo, East Nusa Tenggara.Apart from carrying some 170 passengers, the vessel was loaded with cars, trucks and other vehicles.World Maritime News Staff
zoom Rating agency Standard & Poor’s has affirmed the B+ rating for German shipping major Hapag-Lloyd and revised its outlook from negative to stable.The company’s debt prepayments and cost synergies after the integration of UASC combined with improved shipping rates and stable near-term industry prospects will support rating-commensurate financial measures and liquidity through 2018, Standard & Poor’s said.The outlook revision reflects the expectation that Hapag-Lloyd’s improved EBITDA performance and gradual debt reduction will contribute to rating commensurate credit metrics and adequate liquidity in 2018.Further underpinning the outlook revision is the expectation of stable average container shipping freight rates in 2018.Furthermore, and because Hapag-Lloyd has an efficient and young fleet with low level investment needed in the medium term after the acquisition of United Arab Shipping Company (UASC), Standard & Poor’s factors in its relatively low capital investments to be funded with internally generated cash in 2018 and 2019.In addition, Hapag-Lloyd’s strict cost controls and effective integration of UASC only five months after the transaction closed “should improve its cost.”“After S&P already improved the outlook for Hapag-Lloyd in July of this year and took us off ‘Credit Watch’ we are now very pleased that our deleveraging efforts are recognised further and that S&P’s outlook for Hapag-Lloyd improved from negative to stable,” Nicolás Burr, CFO of Hapag-Lloyd, said. “The rating also again confirms the strong industrial logic of the merger, through which we are now better positioned for the still challenging market environment. Our focus is now on realising the synergies,” Burr added.
Spring is on the way, says Shubenacadie Sam, who did not see his shadow today, Feb. 2. Sam came out of his home at the Shubenacadie Wildlife Park around 8 a.m. this morning and greeted his visitors, then ambled about his enclosure before heading back inside without seeing his shadow. “I think it’s great that many Nova Scotians have been out enjoying winter activities this year, but many are ready to start planning their gardens,” said Natural Resources Minister Zach Churchill. While waiting for the first buds of spring, people may want to visit novascotia.com to reserve their copy of the 2014 Doers and Dreamers Guide. Or, call 1-800-565-0000, toll-free, from anywhere in North America.
The parties in a human rights complaint alleging racial discrimination have reached a settlement through the Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission’s restorative process. Nhlanhla Dlamini of Pictou filed the complaint on Nov. 15, alleging racial discrimination at his place of employment, P.Q. Properties, Ltd., in New Glasgow owned by Paul Quinn. Since the complaint was filed, Mr. Quinn came forward to address it with Mr. Dlamini through the commission’s restorative process. As part of the resolution they issued this statement:“By fully engaging in the commission’s restorative process the parties achieved their common goal of reaching a mutual resolution to the complaint while addressing the discriminatory actions Mr. Dlamini experienced. Both parties are satisfied with the result and wish to move forward with their respective future endeavors.” The commission thanks both parties and their representatives for their commitment to collaborating in this process and reaching a successful resolution, which will include human rights education for all employees of P.Q. Properties. The company will also work with the commission to update its policy on discrimination and harassment.
EDMONTON – Weary air travellers heading out from Edmonton can break up the wait with a free short story.Edmonton International Airport has a Short Story Dispenser in its main terminal.Airport spokeswoman Traci Bednard says travellers walk up to the black and blue dispenser, push a button and then a paper unfurls with a one, three or five-minute story.Bednard says the stories are from local Edmonton artists, as well as authors from countries or cities that are a non-stop flight away from the Alberta capital.The Short Story Dispenser is made by France-based Short Edition.She says travellers have told airport staff it’s a really good idea and the only other airport to have one is in Lyon, France.“If you’re travelling, whether you’re an Edmontonian, or whether you’re travelling from somewhere around the world, once you get past security and into the airport itself, you’re really starting a journey,” she said.“If we could use that time to entertain you and show you a little bit about what Edmonton has, show you a little bit about what our authors have and what they are writing about, what a great opportunity for the airport to do.”Short Edition says authors have a contract with the company so their work is protected and they get royalties every time their work is accessed in a dispenser.“Short Edition’s aim is to adapt literature to the modern world by combining short literature, the community and technology,” the company says on its website. “In this way, Short Edition uses passion and humour to inspire the community of readers and authors who dare to like short stories.”